ESTABLISHING SMART AND INNOVATIVE ZONES IN LIMASSOL CITY.
ESTABLISHING SMART AND INNOVATIVE ZONES IN LIMASSOL CITY
The project relates to the Vision of Limassol to become "smarter", innovative and more creative, to ensure societal and social development and the well-being of citizens and visitors.
Within this context and the long term plan for developing a Smart City Strategy for the city of Limassol, a region is selected, designated and declared as the first Smart and Innovative Zone in Limassol. The zone includes the historic center, the western neighborhood adjacent to the old Limassol port, the Limassol marina and the seafront which extends along the south coast of Limassol.
The plan which is based on a number of studies already performed for the Limassol Municipality and covers the following main actions :
- Target energy neutral neighbourhoods.
- Target to increase the number of zero energy buildings and plan for refurbishment of the zone for energy efficiency including public areas and existing public and private buildings.
- Define zero energy specifications for new buildings within the Zone.
- Improve and better connect public transport and ‘soft’ modes, especially walking and cycling.
- Introduce smart urban technologies and services.
- Provide an alternative transport option to private transport modes to avoid pollution and facilitate low-carbon transport.
- Design and develop clean, efficient urban logistics and freight distribution to cover the historic center within the Zone.
The action contributes to the following actions in the Operational Implementation Plan :
5.2.2 Potential Action 2: Establishing Innovation Zones within cities
1.2.2 Potential Action 2: Electrification of public transport
1.2.3 Potential Action 3: Clean, efficient urban logistics and freight distribution
2.2.3 Potential Action 3: The Green Network of large scale (deep) refurbishment of city districts for energy efficiency Introduction
2.2.4 Potential Action 4: Large scale deployment of zero energy new districts and zero energy new buildings
4.2.2 Potential Action 2: Energy Neutral Neighbourhoods
5.2.1 Potential Action 1: Developing a Smart City Strategy and Implementation plan
1. The project aligns with the European Innovation Partnership goals and particularly in improving citizens quality of life and contributing to sustainability and the EU's 20/20/20 energy and climate targets.
2. Contributes to the goal to increase the number of cities with a long-term smart city strategy and stakeholder involvement.
3. Low-emission through using smart urban technologies and services.
4. To create a testing environment that allows and supports innovative concepts and models.
1. Requires a wide involvement of actors and stakeholders, academia, ICT, designers, architects, suppliers and contractors.in buildings, energy, transport and mobility.
2. Involves the public and private sector
Is the commitment potentially open to additional partners and if so, in which priority area (please tick the relevant options)?
- Sustainable Urban Mobility
- Sustainable Districts and Built Environment
- Integrated Infrastructures and Processes across Energy, ICT, and Transport
- Citizen Focus
- Integrated Planning and Management
- Business Models, Procurement and Funding
The Smart and Innovative Zone in Limassol City, covers a large portion of the historic and business center, the coastal are and the area around the old port, which is an important area for business and tourism and an area with great potential for renovation and regeneration.
Results expected in
- 2014 Concept and plan development - Development of strategic partnerships
- 2015 Set-up, declare and announce the Limassol Smart and Innovative Zone and commence project implementation in phases
- 2016 and beyond Project implementation of phases