Parking in the city of Limassol is a challenging issue, particularly in the city center where offices, shops, cafeterias, clubs, events and sight seeing attract citizens and visitors.
Although there is a number of parking spaces both municipal and private, excessive traffic congestion is caused by drivers circling to find a free parking space.
The Limassol Smart City Parking aims to inform and guide drivers of parking availability closest to their destination, to reduce traffic congestion and improve life for citizens, businessmen and visitors.
- To provide parking guidance by providing real-time parking availability, which can be visually displayed on mobile, portable computer devices and on digital signage posts located in select city locations.
- To enable remote searching for parking spaces available close to required areas of interest (museums, restaurants, offices, public buildings, shops, etc and other personal preferences.
- To provide information for type of parking (covered, open air, underground etc), parking rates, period and hours of free parking (if applicable) and other important policies.
- Possibility to show direction and guidance to the parking space from the current location of the vehicle.
- Facility for electronic payment via card device and / or mobile app and provide online signals and camera snapshots for violations and misuse of the parking space, payment obligations.
- Provide online information for violation of no-parking zones and capture snapshots for parking events in parking and no-parking zones.
The action contributes to the following actions in the Operational Implementation Plan :
3.2.2 Potential Action 2: City Information Platforms
4.2.3 Potential Action 3: Stakeholder Platform for innovation and societal progress
4.2.4 Potential Action 4: City Visualisation
6.2.4 Potential Action 4: City communication and engagement
8.2.1 Potential Action 1: Develop and provide data for an EU-wide Smart Cities indicator framework
10.2.2 Potential Action 2: Standards for City Information Platforms
10.2.3 Potential Action 3: Standards for M2M Data Exchange
- Collaboration with ICT industry providers, Academia, City networks for dissemination and transfer of know how
- Using standards and protocols, and common data formats to link the data to other systems operated by the city such as e-Platforms, city visualization, communication and engagement
- Re-use existing infrastructure (IP cameras, sensors, smartphone apps, Wi-Fi infrastructure)
The Limassol City Smart parking will cover the city center and include all parking spaces public and private.
Results expected in
- 2014 Planning
- 2015 Phase 1 - Public parking areas
- 2016 and beyond Phase 2 - Private parking areas