To make progress on climate action we need to collaborate on a global scale - and your community has an important role to play.
On 10.10.2020, Countdown will launch globally with a virtual event, and we invite you to join us. Watch online at home with your family and friends, or sign up to host a TEDx Countdown event of your own with your community, in your language, for your time zone.
11am- 4pm Eastern Standard Time / 5-10pm Central European Time
Over five curated sessions (described below) we’ll combine TED's signature blend of actionable and research-backed ideas, cutting-edge science, and moments of wonder and inspiration.
We encourage you to tune in for the whole event – or as much of it as you can!
SESSION 1: Climate — Where we are and why we need to act
- Countdown: Here’s what it is and why we are doing it
- Climate science and the climate crisis: Where are we today?
- The Race to Zero: What do we need to do and when?
SESSION 2: The path to resilient, regenerative economies
- Putting climate back on the political and social agenda
- A safer, cleaner, fairer future for people and the planet
- What businesses can do — and are doing — to transform and transition
SESSION 3: The future of energy, transportation and materials
- How rapidly can we switch to 100% clean power?
- How can we upgrade the way that we move people and things?
- How can we reimagine and remake the stuff around us?
SESSION 4: Fairness, food and nature
- Why climate justice matters
- How can we spark a worldwide shift to healthier food systems?
- How do we better protect and re-green the earth?
SESSION 5: What’s your role?
- Thinking long-term about climate change
- Getting involved, staying inspired and rallying others to take part
- Stepping up at work and at home
HOSTING YOUR OWN EVENT
Anyone, anywhere can sign up to host their own TEDx Countdown event, of any size on 10.10.2020 or afterwards. These events can take any shape – you might host a watch party featuring talks from the event, curate original local talks, facilitate breakout conversations following the virtual sessions or invite a local leader or artist to welcome guests or share a performance.
Once your application is accepted, you will be given a TEDx license under which to host your event. While most events this October will need to be virtual, we expect that some communities may be ready to meet in person. We advise everyone to pay attention to local guidelines about gatherings. See our working list of frequently asked questions to learn more.
To help make your event successful, the Countdown team will provide the following resources after you sign up:
- Training: virtual sessions about how to organize a great virtual or in-person TEDx Countdown event; these will be led by our team and experienced TEDx organizers (check out the first information session)
- Toolkits: a host guide with discussion topics and program details, as well as a design identity kit with graphics to use for your event’s digital and physical spaces
SPECIAL GUIDELINES FOR BUSINESSES
Businesses can also register to host TEDx Countdown events for their organizations – including live speakers and/or watch parties – free of charge. These events are for an internal audience only, and the TEDx business license fees are waived.
Following the 10.10.2020 Global Launch, there will additional opportunities to keep your community engaged in Countdown. You can host and facilitate small-group climate conversations with your community through regular Countdown Circles and / or plan to host your own event alongside the Countdown Summit in 2021. Sign up to stay informed