The RUGGEDISED project will create urban spaces powered by secure, affordable and clean energy, smart electro-mobility, smart tools and services. The overall aims are:
- Improving the quality of life of the citizens, by offering the citizens a clean, safe, attractive, inclusive and affordable living environment.
- Reducing the environmental impacts of activities, by achieving a significant reduction of CO2 emissions, a major increase in the investment and usage of RES and an increase in the deployment of electric vehicles.
- Creating a stimulating environment for sustainable economic development, by generating more sustainable jobs, stimulating community involvement in smart solutions and to boost start-up and existing companies to exploit the opportunities of the green digital economy and Internet of Things.
To achieve the aims, a key innovation challenge in all three lighthouse cities of RUGGEDISED is to arrange successful combinations of integrated smart solutions for energy and e-mobility (enabled by ICT platforms and open data protocols) and business models with the right incentives for stakeholders to invest and participate in a smart society. Specific challenges relevant for the lighthouse cities are:
- to manage peak load variation in thermal and electrical energy supply and demand;
- to develop appropriate cooperation structures and business models for exchange of energy;
- to develop Smart City (open) data platforms and energy management systems
RUGGEDISED has derived 10 specific objectives and planned 32 smart solutions to meet the challenges. The development of solutions in the lighthouse cities is not the primary goal of the project, but a necessary means to find the right incentives and to create validated business cases to enable large scale deployment and replication of solutions. Three follower cities Brno, Parma and Gdansk have selected 27 smart follower solutions to follow the lighthouse cities and to prepare for implementation in the future.
For more information please visit ruggedised.eu