The objective of REPLICATE is to demonstrate Smart City technologies in energy, transport and ICT in districts in San Sebastian, Florence and Bristol addressing urban complexity and generate replication plans in other districts and in follower cities of Essen,
Nilufer and Lausanne.
Main challenges for cities are to increase the overall energy efficiency, to exploit better local resources in terms of energy supply and demand side measures. For successful implementation of Smart City technologies two main elements are considered:
- Cities are the customer: considering local specificities in integrated urban plans and the need to develop monitoring systems to extract conclusions for replication.
- Solutions must be replicable, interoperable and scalable.
REPLICATE considers also the complexity of cities, the tangible benefits for citizens, the financial mechanisms and the new business models. The 3 pillars implemented in the pilots with the engagement of citizens, private actors and authorities are:
- Low energy districts: cost-effective retrofitting, new constructive techniques with optimal energy behaviour and high enthalpy RES in residential buildings. Include also efficient measures in public and residential buildings: ICT tools, PV, shading or natural ventilation; district heating is demonstrated hybridising local biomass, recovered heat and natural gas.
- Integrated Infrastructure: deployment of ICT architecture, from the internet of things to applications, to integrate the solutions in different areas. Smart Grids on electricity distribution network to address the new challenges, connecting all users: consumers, producers, aggregators and municipality. Intelligent lighting will allow automated regulation of the amount of light and integration of IP services via PLC.
- Urban mobility: sustainable and smart urban bus service, electric urban bike transport, 3-wheeler delivery and transport services, deployment of EV charging infrastructures and ICT tools.
To find out more about REPLICATE please visit replicate-project.eu